Friday, April 17, 2015

Jumping Hurdles

"I believe in miracles and blessings; both great and small.  I believe in the human spirit to prevail.  I believe in possibilities."  With our Mighty God, this is so true.  These words were on a card I received from a sweet friend.

Round #3 is behind us (Friday, April 10).  It was tougher for me than Round #2.  I think it was harder because I actually had 2 days prior to the treatment that I "felt like myself".  After you feel 'good' if makes the difficult times a bit more challenging.  I got the white blood cell booster shot on Monday and was able to make it back to work on Wednesday.  We continue to be blessed with caring friends and family taking care of us.

I am fortunate that we now know the plan and schedule for the next few weeks  I will have Round #4 Friday, April 24.   A PET scan is scheduled for Friday, May 1; the PET will show how the cancer cells are reacting to the chemo.  Further course of treatment will be determined after the PET scan.

There are so many people that have been fighting this terrible disease for a very long time. Many of us have loved ones that have bravely battled cancer.  Many of us have friends and family that are battling right now.  Some have been fighting for months or even years.  They are the strong ones.  They are the brave ones.  These courageous warriors and their families need our prayers for strength.

My Dad and Sister,Kim, each battled this disease for many years.  They both fought with dignity and bravery.  My Dad went to heaven in June 6,1992 and Kim joined him on June 30, 2013.

Kim's cell phone ring tone was Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger".  I think it was sort of like her fight song.  To those around her, Kim was the epitome of strength.  The afternoon that we received the surprising news that I might have lymphoma, Mark and I met at church to pray with one of our pastors.  We were driving separately since Mark was meeting me straight from work.  After our time at church, we went back to our separate cars to drive home.  My car radio was on XM The Pulse - guess what song was on the radio exactly when I started the ignition?  Yep. "Stronger".   When I told the story to Avery, she said, "No body plays Stronger anymore; especially The Pulse".  That song playing at that exact time was NOT a coincidence. I know it was a God moment with Kim right there beside Him.  

We always enjoy a good Southern prayer before our meals (hoping the food doesn't get too cold as Mark prays).  This Easter as we gathered around the table, at the conclusion of the prayer for some funny reason Alyse wanted to us to join in and sing a song.  No one in our family is blessed with a singing voice, so we all grinned and giggled and joined right in.  She began leading us in singing the Doxology (you know it, right?).


  1. Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
    Praise Him, all creatures here below;
    Praise Him above, ye heav’nly host;
    Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Well, I have been singing the Doxology in my head since Easter.  Whenever I lay down for a nap, I sing the Doxology.  When we sit down to eat, I sing the Doxology.  Actually I think it is very appropriated.  We are made (created) to praise Him.  

This quote was also on the card I received......

"I believe that hurdles in life are meant to be jumped over, not as something to stop us."  

We are jumping over a hurdle, but our family wants to Praise God as we do it!


(from TN Warrior Dash a few years back)


1 comment:

  1. Amanda,
    Your writing has such beauty in it. I have no doubt that once you get over this hurdle you will be an encourager to others running the same race.

    ReplyDelete