Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Hair

My first treatment (Friday, March 13) went well.... I think. 

Again, we had a super sweet nurse (at Clearview Cancer Institute) taking care of us on what could be a very nerve wrecking day.  Thank you to the many people praying for us; I felt calm and ready as each new drug was administered.  One of my meds is nick-named "The Red Devil" because of it's bright red color and the 'wonderful' way it can make you feel.  Mark immediately told the nurse, "We are going to call it Christmas Cheer!"  We know how important it is to have a positive attitude and we are thankful for each of you encouraging us daily.

The first few days were not easy, but I feel much better now and the beautiful sunshine in North Alabama has certainly helped as well.  We are thankful for wonderful friends taking care of us while I felt the worst.  We are thankful that my strong Mother was with us to offer experienced advice.  It seems that each day brings a new side effect, but I am ready to tackle each one and learn something new before the next treatment.

Christmas Cheer is also the drug that will make me loose my hair.  I have had long hair forever.  Mark tried his very best to convince the doctors and nurses that I would not loose my hair, but it sounds like Christmas Cheer usually wins.

I have had shorter hair over the years.  Usually the shorter my hair, the wider my hair.

 I decided to be proactive and get my hair cut short before Christmas Cheer takes action.  I donated my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths.  Beautiful lengths is a partnership between the American Cancer Society and Pantene.
 
Wow, I didn't remember my hair being so curly, but I am very pleased with my summer cut!

I work at an elementary school; I went back to work on Tuesday. I shared with the children at school what is going on and they were very supportive and love the summer cut.  I am so thankful for a special group of 'cleaning fairies' that show up in my computer lab each day after school to scrub away all the germs.  Employees at MES are the best!

Friday will begin our Spring Break.  We are extremely thankful that we will travel with Mark's parents for the week; it will be a great time with family relaxing and getting my energy up for the next round.

Prayer requests:
Side effects quickly diminish; I need to 'bulk up' before my next round which is scheduled for March 30.
I am able to stay healthy while working around children each day.
Mark and the girls as they learn to deal with a Mom that is not 100%.


Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.   Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.            1 Peter 3:3-4               

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the haircut, A! I'm so thankful you have one dose of "Christmas Cheer" behind you! I love that. Mark is such a great guy. I know he's taking good care of you! Prayers for you all ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your summer cut! I'm praying for you and your family daily. Enjoy your spring break! Ginger (Florey) Powell

    ReplyDelete
  3. That verse is YOU, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and LOVE the hair. I remember that "short and wide" haircut - I had me a few of those. :-) Sending so much love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Christmas Cheer! I love that! It's great that Mark is just as positive as you are. You SO need that! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda ~ I just heard the news. You, Mark and the girls are in my prayers. Hope y'all had a wonderful Spring Break!

    Love the new 'do!

    ReplyDelete